Scientific Understanding of Consciousness
Embryonic Development of Neural Network
· Structural protein layout is determined by genetics in the early embryo.
· Axons of the earliest “pioneer” neurons follow the structure.
· Axons of later neurons follow the pathways of earlier pioneer neurons.
· Axon growth cones arrive in the proper termination space, but individual synaptic connections are only approximate. There results an approximate 3:1 excess of synapses in the newly-formed neural network.
· There is not sufficient information in the human genome to precisely determine the synaptic connections in the neural network.
· Neural activity refines the neural network synaptic connections. Synapses are maintained on a “use it or lose it” basis.